Trusted Houston Drug Possession Lawyers & Attorneys
Drug possession lawyers are a specialty type of criminal defense lawyers.
Texas Lawyer Referral Service, TxLRS, works with some of the best illegal drug possession, drug distribution and drug trafficking type of criminal defense lawyers in the Houston, Texas area.
Overview of Texas Drug Possession Laws
Possession of various illicit and controlled drugs may violate the Texas Controlled Substances Act. In order to secure a conviction for drug possession, a prosecutor must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant knowingly and intentionally possessed or had control over a controlled drug which he or she does not have a valid prescription or order for from a doctor for medical purposes.
Under the Texas law, there are four classes of drugs, each with their own classifications and each with their own set of penalties. Notably, Marijuana is classified on its own, independent of these four classes of drugs.
The 4 Classes of Drugs
1 – Cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, GHB, ketamine, oxycodone, and hydrocodone.
1A – LSD
2 – Ecstasy (MMDA/Molly), PCP, mescaline, (resinous extractives of Cannabis that aren’t marijuana, e.g. hashish, concentrated marijuana oil, wax)
3 – Valium, Xanax, and Ritalin.
4 – Compounds containing Dionine, Motofen, Buprenorphine or Pryovalerone
Defenses to Drug Possession Charges
- -Lack of knowledge that the defendant was in possession of the controlled substance.
- -The drug was not intended for human consumption.
- -The drug was a substance for which there is an approved new drug application under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act; or
- -The drug has been approved for investigational use under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and the defendant’s conduct was in accord with that exemption.
- -The drug is medical marijuana.
- -The drug is a prescribed medication from a medical doctor.
- -Insufficient quantity
Keep in mind that addiction is NOT a defense to charges.
If you need legal assistance from one of our Houston Drug Possession attorneys , fill out our form on this page or call us at 713-510-7100. Take advantage of our Free Consultation! by contacting us today.